This horn is beautifully carved with the owner’s name and date of 1779 within a large carved border of a scalloped design. It also has a wonderful large maze and near it, a sailing ship or sloop. Also carved is a fort showing the walls and a soldier raising a sword, another raising a flag and another soldier taking aim with his flintlock musket, at a bird in a tree, with a squirrel running near it. The base of the horn is carved all around with a scallop design as well as the upper end nearing the neck. A nice carved recess border, gives way to a long slender neck with three raised rings before the pouring spout. Records indicate that Henry Horn served in a company of Grenadiers in General Casimir Pulaski’s Legion, 4th Virginia Regiment. A March Pay Voucher places him at camp in Yorktown in March 19, 1779. There are records showing that he took the oath of allegiance in March 17, 1777 along with his brother and others. The 4th Virginia regiment participated in many battles; Trenton, Princeton, Brandywine, German town, Monmouth, siege of Savannah and Charleston. At the siege of Savannah, Gen’l Pulaski was wounded on Oct. 9, 1779 and died two days later. The remaining 4th Regiment was later captured by the British at Charlestown, S. Carolina on May 12, 1780. Henry survived the war and after the war he became a Methodist minister and moved to Bedford County, PA where he was a circuit rider. He married Elizabeth Pretsman/Pretzman and they had 8 children, two of them were ministers like their father. Henry is buried at the Horn Church, in the Pleasantville/Fishertown area of Bedford County. Somewhere along the line the Horn family started spelling their name Horne. Henry’s grandson Joseph was the founder of Horne’s Department Store based in Pittsburgh.